Thank you for your interest in King Philanthropies. We have a small, highly dedicated team whose members share a commitment to making a meaningful difference in the lives of the world’s poorest people. Throughout our organization, we strive to maintain a culture of inclusion and collaboration. In building our team, we seek out candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Please see our current openings below.
About King Philanthropies
King Philanthropies is a private foundation located in Menlo Park, California. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference in the lives of the world’s poorest by multiplying the impact of high-performing leaders and organizations. We do so through multi-year, unrestricted grants to high performing social sector organizations that have proven models that address the essentials of human life; by supporting the development of future leaders through scholarships; and by fostering entrepreneurship that will lead to job creation.
King Philanthropies is guided by the personal values of Bob and Dottie King. Following a successful investment career, the Kings shifted their focus to philanthropy in 1995. King Philanthropies’ work flows directly from the inspiration of its founders and centers on a singular goal: to alleviate extreme poverty.
The Portfolio Manager for King Philanthropies plays a critical role in executing the King Essentials grantmaking program while also supporting other key initiatives at the Foundation more broadly. Reporting to the Director of King Essentials, the Portfolio Manager helps the team to identify, support, and manage a cohort of high-performing organizations addressing the world’s most critical challenges affecting the poor and vulnerable. In addition, the Portfolio Manager has the opportunity to play an invaluable role across the organization as a “team of teams” player, by providing targeted research and analysis to initiatives spanning different functions, such as Finance & Operations, the CEO’s office, Strategy, and Communications.
- Supporting team in sourcing and evaluating funding opportunities by conducting financial and organizational analyses around impact evidence, business model, scaling and internal capacity to deliver results
- Collecting, aggregating, and analyzing data on our grantee portfolio performance, including review of annual reports and tracking progress against key metrics
- Codifying best practices and lessons learned from our work
- Gathering and analyzing evidence to fill knowledge gaps, prove or disprove hypotheses, describe industry trends, and/or map competitive landscape and players
- Assisting the development of public-facing materials (e.g., Forbes articles, KP website)
- Traveling for site visits as needed to meet with existing and prospective grantees
- Producing and communicating research on global development and philanthropic trends and contributing to development of internal knowledge base
- Supporting ongoing strategic planning efforts, as needed
- Undergraduate college degree with at least two years of professional work experience; master’s degree is a plus
- Prior strategic consulting experience is desirable
- Outstanding analytical skills and strong inclination towards rigor with a demonstrated ability to analyze quantitative and qualitative evidence
- Excellent listening skills; effective influencer; strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborative team contributor
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; good attention to detail
- Ability to self-manage workstreams and tasks; self-directed and resourceful with high standards for quality output
- A curious and creative intellect and a style that includes flexibility, levelness, and a sense of humor and humility
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to King Philanthropies’ mission
The Portfolio Manager must work from the Foundation’s office in Menlo Park, California. The Portfolio Manager must also be able to travel domestically and internationally as required.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: [YOUR NAME – Portfolio Manager]. King Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.