Chief Operating Officer
About King Philanthropies
King Philanthropies is a grantmaking organization located in Menlo Park, California. Its work is guided by the vision of its founders, Robert E. (Bob) King and Dorothy J. (Dottie) King. The Kings have supported a wide array of organizations and initiatives over the course of several decades. In 2016, they created King Philanthropies in order to organize and advance the pursuit of their philanthropic ambitions. King Philanthropies’ mission is to alleviate extreme poverty by magnifying the impact of high-performance leaders and organizations. Please visit the King Philanthropies website for more information on the work that King Philanthropies undertakes to achieve this mission.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) provides the financial leadership and management to define and implement King Philanthropies’ operations, administrative and reporting procedures and people. The COO also serves as a strategic partner to the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The position maintains control of business operations including Finance, Administration, Legal, Human Resources and Technology. The goal is to optimize the strategy and operations of the Foundation to fulfill the mission of the organization and the vision of the Founders and the CEO.
Kim Starkey Jonker, President and Chief Executive Officer
Other Key Relationships:
Founders, Bob and Dottie King
Bill Meehan, Special Advisor and Board Member
Members, Investment Committee
- Direct oversight of operational functions including: Finance, Administration, Legal, Human Resources and Information Technology.
- Contribute to the continued development of a supportive and collaborative work environment through active participation in internal collaborations, teams and activities.
- Serve as management liaison to the Board and Investment Committee; effectively communicate and present on financial and operational matters at Board and Committee meetings.
- Routinely communicate accurate short- and long-term financial information to the President/CEO and the Board.
- Represent the Foundation externally with partners, collaborators and key stakeholders.
- Oversee the annual budget and payout planning and the analysis and reporting process. Advise the President/CEO on financial management and reporting, cash flow, and fiscal and spending policy. Liaise with the Chief Investment Officer, Investment Committee, and Wealth Management team on investment priorities and policies.
- Manage key aspects of human resources including compensation and benefits, personnel policies and implementation, insurance and retirement plan selection and administration; participate in hiring and training, planning and directing work and the performance evaluation process.
- Define and direct organizational policies, internal controls, standards and procedures.
- Foster a workplace culture that allows employees to maximize their performance and engagement.
- Evaluate organizational performance by defining and interpreting key performance indicators.
- Meet all external and internal reporting requirements, including the development of value-added management analytics that support decision making at all levels of the organization.
- Keep current on laws and regulations relevant to private foundations to ensure regulatory compliance and timely filing of reports. Ensure that the Foundation operates within accepted accounting standards, in accordance with all legal requirements, and to best practice standards.
- Responsible for meeting tax requirements and compliance: 990 tax preparation, filings, estimated payments and other third party/government reporting and filings; ensure compliance with 990 reporting of grants and accounting requirements; work with accounting firm to ensure complete and accurate preparation of tax return.
- Manage annual audit process with external accounting firm; responsible for financial and other third-party audits
- Minimum of 10 years proven experience as COO or CFO, with relevant financial management experience.
- Exceptional business acumen and experience managing business functions including Finance, Human Resources, Technology, and Legal
- Superior management skills; strong mentoring and coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Graduate degree preferred, such as M.B.A., M.S., or J.D.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strong people skills
- Of the highest integrity
The Search Process
King Philanthropies has retained Sally M. Sterling Executive Search to support the search for the next Chief Operating Officer. If you wish to submit your own application materials or nominate a candidate for this position, please send an email message with supporting materials to Sally Sterling.